Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Day 16 drawing, and no, I'm not forgetful at all

So, having taken one day off from the Little January Art Book, I came back with a different sort of drawing today. 




This is really fun to do.  I laid down a ground of graphite, rubbing the stick back and forth to create an even grey ground.  Then I used the corners of a kneaded eraser to remove parts of it.  This is what kneaded erasers are for, by the way, not for erasing lines or anything. They're an art tool for lifting out areas you want to emphasize.

Then I used the tip of the graphite stick like a pencil to add some definition.  And rubbed over the background with my fingers, to soften the gray out.

This is a sort of trompe l'oeil, where you can't quite tell if the areas are convex or concave. And they change while you're looking at them.  This happens to me all the time in real life anyway.

And to prove I am not at all forgetful, I noticed this when I glanced out of the kitchen window to see that the salt truck must have passed because of an impending storm.  



I had been generally brushing out and cleaning up the back seat of my car, desperately needed, and recycling cardboard boxes and stowing away their contents, and other such unconnected tasks.  And came into the house all smug, completely oblivious to the brush and shovel I'd left on the hood of the car, where I'd put it in order to be sure and remember to bring it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.