Monday, September 25, 2017

Calligraphy practice is getting under way

Still awaiting the arrival of my Chinese calligraphy brushes and paper, and my own copy of the instruction book, but in the meantime I figured why not get a regular calligraphy book out and review the strokes of Western style calligraphy.


Which I did, and realized I had a couple of carpenter's pencils in my drawing supplies, perfect for this.  They're flat, so as not to roll off the roof, and you can get them in different hardnesses.  They're very comfortable to hold, at various angles, which you can experiment with.

I used to teach people to use them, because they're all kinds of experiences in one.  The lead is flat and you can sharpen it with knife, for many adult students the first time they'd used an xacto blade to sharpen a pencil,  then emery board to get a squared off end, giving you four points, to draw fine lines.  And you can use the side of the lead for a wide stroke.  And move it as you work to vary the width.  Great experience in using your hand as well as the pencil, as well as in adapting the tool to suit yourself.



So I thought I'd press them into service, with my handy giant post-its, which I ruled into big squares to work in. 


 I used a 6B, the softer one, then a 2B, harder, and more tiring for your wrist.  The softer one suits me better.  So today's output, before my wrist gave out, is on the fridge, and I can already see where to do better.



A lot of the skills from years ago started returning, though still pretty wobbly and far from elegant.  But for now, nice.

Already ideas are starting up, since I'm still in the throes of artists' books, as to how to use these shapes and forms in my upcoming books.  I'm interested in them as art shapes rather than meaningful bits of words.
 

The paper I used to catch the graphite as it rubbed off the pencil with the emery board created its own little artwork.  I took the picture quickly, and since it was loose dust, it no longer exists, really.  The mulberry paper caught it very well, so it didn't get everywhere. 

If I'd had a hairspray handy, I could have fixed it, made it permanent, but next time maybe.  You don't need to buy expensive art fixative spray, when the cheapest hairspray does the same job.  Use it for chalk, pastel, graphite, drawings, anything that might rub off or migrate onto the glass in the frame.

You might also want to try out carpenter's pencils for yourselves. Best buy them at the hardware store.  Usually once something is labeled art material, the price goes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.