Friday, August 2, 2013

New Book, Destination Undisclosed

The recipient doesn't know this is on its way, but I thought it would be good to show it before it leaves me.

It's an artist's book, the cover unbleached muslin, painted, cut and quilted together, with drawings, the inside cover mulberry paper, a double signature inside, saddle stitched, but you can easily remove the sections to put in more pages if wanted.  Handmade beads from my own paper, wax finished.

Since the recipient's a poet, I'm hoping this will fit her current requirements...and that she won't send me a rejection slip.



9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful gift for a poet! I'm sure it will be a source of inspiration as its already filled with so many good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously doubt that there will be any sort of rejection slip forthcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful book. It took me a minute to realize that your fabric is cut in hexagons. How did you stitch them together?

    I always wondered if I could use pieced fabrics for my fabric covered watercolor sketchbooks, but haven't tried it so far.

    I would love to discuss the process with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not hexagons --diamond shapes, to create the tumbling block effect. Not stitched, glued! the muslin I backed with the fusible web to make it easier to cut accurately, then organized it tumbling block style, glued it onto another muslin. The trickiest part is to cut the diamonds correctly to create the tumbling blocks, one of my favorite of all motifs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Liz. I'm sure the recipient will be inspired by it. If she sends you a rejection slip (as if), I'll have it (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  6. this has worked beautiful, the poet will be inspired I am sure. Thanks for telling us in the comments how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz, it was a lovely gift and the poet was touched beyond words. Well, almost. She also enjoyed reading about how you made the cover, and how the pages can be replaced if necessary. Thank you.







    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! it means a lot to me to know you're out there and reading and enjoying.